Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The January Garden

Progress....

The lettuces and leafy greens have flourished and are filling up all the empty space in the box.

Notice that the color of the "giant garnet" has radically deepened. This is my first year planting it and I think it's a new favorite. It adds bright color and flavor to salads and I love the large easy-to-clean leaves.


Swiss chard and broccoli. This is the broccoli from transplant. The head is a little on the small side but still large enough. It is still tight and will increase in size a little before harvest. The broccoli plants that were seeded directly into the garden did not grow large enough before they began to head. I will probably have to stick to transplanting for the cole crops... but we'll see how the cabbage and cauliflower do.


Kale and carrot tops.



This lovely head of romaine was a surprise! I didn't plant it this fall but it came up from old seed from a previous plant. I like romaine but so do the little inch-worms... they will eat it up! So, I had decided to skip it this year. Luckily the weather has been cool enough that the pests haven't been a problem this year. I have been harvesting this head by removing the outer leaves as needed. The plant grows back and replenishes what has been taken.


The spinach is doing well but will still fill in quite a bit more.


Cilantro with carrot tops in the background.

The Freeze
A freeze hit the valley while we were out of town for a week. We lost our pepper plants and the basil.

These pepper plants have been a favorite of mine. I have had them for a few years and they have always produced so well! I was sad to see them go! Above is the jalepeno plant and below... one of the bells.

Goodbye basil!

No comments:

Post a Comment